A Ring, A Rope or a Post It........

as long as you love me
If its you will you take it?
Its the festive season, families are gathering together, memories are being made and ring sales are skyrocketing. If you don't know anyone that has gotten engaged in the past two months change your environment.....lol nah but wait on it we still have about a months worth of festivities left (Christmas and New Year). 

So by virtue of this period the size of the engagement ring is fast becoming a hot topic. You see generally before this year I didn't hear much about the size of  an engagement ring being an issue (or maybe I lived under a rock and was oblivious) anyhoo I believed folks were just excited to be getting married. But something happened this year (the jury is still out on what, if you know please comment below) and all of a sudden size mattered. I don't think it was so in the days of our parents na but then again nothing these days is like the days of our parents so let me hush on that part.

Anyway sha so scenario goes like this: You and Bobo have been dating, everything is great and you've had the marriage talk, probably showed him your dream ring sef and he has said don't worry baby I got you. But on said proposal day which caught you by surprise "side eye" the ring is not  at all like all the pictures you've bombarded him with. In fact you need an x-ray machine microscope to see the stone.What do you do? most especially if it was a public proposal. Omo this story wey I hear ehn fear grip me, the girl refused proposal oh!!!!!!!! Yes you heard me right. She said the ring was too small and not what they agreed on so the answer was a NO!!!

Read story here:

This led my wheels to start spinning, why will a girl turn down a proposal due to ring size in this crucial time of "I must marry", "Seize the bae", "Lord let me marry or I die". What is the symbolism of a ring sef? Let's not talk about it having to be a diamond........ ha you want to give some girls high blood pressure be that......No diamond ke?!?!?!?!?! what will I tell my friends?!?!?! taa come on gerarahere mehn. Anyhoo back to my question though, why must there be an engagement ring? When did this culture of engagement ring start? Who did/does it benefit? I did a bit of research and long and short of the story is that the notion of (diamond) engagement ring was to make money chikena!!!!!! I'll leave you to do your research and come to your conclusion. 

I read another story of a woman who was disappointed by her engagement ring and ultimately allowed her disappointment ruin her engagement and is still wallowing in that disappointment which has now become shame all this is after 12 years of being together.  I just cant!!!!!! 

As for me sha o, I'm not saying a ring will not be appreciated but its not a necessity. Heck propose to me with a rope, a lollipop, an apple or on a post it (Grey's Anatomy), the koko of the matter is you want to marry me (and hopefully I you or else..............awkward).  Shocking yea, funny enough I was one of those who had their dream ring (actually I still do........but shoo I can buy myself a cocktail ring to fit the purpose of admiring it and be very content). All this to say I won't be bothered if for whatever reason Bobo doesn't present a ring because nowhere has it been proven that an engagement ring let alone the size results in a long lasting marriage nor does it measure how much your partner loves you. 

So when that time comes and Bobo decides to "surprise" me with an engagement ring then by all means do as your heart desires, preferably not diamonds sapphires and pearls are my best friends  :). But still as your heart desires....lol   






P.S Same goes for wedding rings sef............ runs away

Comments

Popular Posts